You have found waldo! :-).
No, not the one on the left ;-). Although, many people think i’ve got my name from him. That’s actually far from the truth.. .
To make a long story short .. My name is “Eric Wauters” .. which means that I have the same initials as “Eddy Wally” – known by lots of Belgians.. . The guy is cool .. and a bit “goofy” (and I mean that in the most respectful way ;-). So my friends in my basketballteam (when I was still 10kg lighter, and 25km/h faster, and 20 years younger) started to call me “Wally”.
Later, when Family Matters was broadcasted in Belgium, “Wally” became quite quickly “waldo” .. probably because of the bad sense of humor I share with him ;-).
Anyway, not sure anyone is interested in that ..
I’m not going to bore you with my picture .. I’m just going to tell you what I’ve been doing for the past few years.. .
About 11 years ago, must have been in 2002, I stumbled into Navision by coincidence. My former employer sold it, not really knowing what is was, and gave me the job to implement “Navision” at a customer. As I’m not a genius, wonder-kid, or any kind of super-NAV, the project failed gigantically.. . But the system did intrigue me in some way. So I decided to dive deeper into it, and tried to find some experienced people.
That search made me stumble into another opportunity: starting a new company that does nothing but NAV. This time, I made sure that I only had to worry about the technical side of NAV. The side I feel good at. And “iFacto” was born. Since the end of 2002, I have been Development Manager of many great NAV developers at iFacto.
The Dynamics NAV Community is a hobby of mine. I really believe in the power of “sharing knowledge”. So I have been involved with about all the aspects of the Dynamics NAV community:
- First of all I started posting on mibuso.com, because I didn’t know ***, and I had to get my knowledge from somewhere. Mibuso has been THE place for as long as I remember.
- Later on, I started to answer stuff on mibuso as well.
- After a few years and a few thousands of posts, Microsoft awarded me with “MVP”
- From then on, I decided to try to do something different, and started my blog on Dynamics User. Great guys, great platform. I have been using their software for years, and I really would thank Erik Ernst for having me there :-). I think this was one of the first Dynamics NAV blogs, but I’m not sure of that. In a way, it was very well received: many people subscribed to the blog, rss, … . I have about 1000 views a day .. which I’m proud of :-).
- In 2009, a few Community-friends and me started the “Belgian Dynamics Community” in – obviously – Belgium. I must say, it’s on a hold now, but it has been quite popular: hundreds of people attended our Knowledge Sharing events .. . I hope some day all this will rise up again.. .
- The past 6 years, I have been attending lots of conferences .. . It’s my way to “pay full attention” to the product that’s influencing my (and my colleagues) life quite a lot. I always meet lots of people there, some of them have become good friends. Once in a while, I do a session myself, … .
- In 2013, it’s time to move on, and take my blog in my own hands: there are a few things that I wanted to have on my blog, like my own control, statistics, widgets, .. . therefore, I decided one day to go for it. And I did. So that’s where we are now.